Tuesday, July 05, 2005
Ode to my Dying BookWorm
I think I'm becoming dumber as I get older. Ok, I'm being dramatic, but I have to admit that I haven't been reading a whole lot of books recently. And it seems that my reading materials are spiraling in a downward pattern. I was doing my reading best in grade school and now stuck reading movie or T.V. tie-ins. It's sad and I can't seem to help it.

In grade school I was reading books required for the higher grades and even for high school. Stuff like the Iliad and Catcher in the Rye. I wasn't really into the classics though, except maybe Wuthering Heights. Love it. Depressing but I loved it.

Then in high school, due to the very sparse collection of reading materials that have nothing to do with any lesson plan, I started reading thriller novels like the ones by Robert Ludlum. When I was super bored and there really was nothing else, I read the books of Andrew Greeley which was mostly about Catholic Church scandals.

College was the start of my descent. I noticed myself getting stuck reading movie or T.V. tie in books. I guess it's because they were easy to absorb. God knows my brain was already being overloaded with so much info during those times. Reading something of real substance was not what I would call as something to relax me. Sad thing is that I can't seem to break out of the habit. Sure, not all of the books I've read these days are T.V. ties ins but they are of the Young Adult category. I can't really say if this is still not good for me or if it's because Young Adult books are really becoming good these days.

The thing is that I need to just get my book passion back. But I think the drive is gone. The only book I'm excited about right now is Harry Potter book 6. And it's a shame because I used to be really excited about books. And not just about the highly publicized ones. I used to love discovering books that are not really known and recommending them to others. I loved the process of getting someone else interested; heck even just talking about a book was enough for me. I miss it.

Anyway in trying to recapture at least part of what I used to enjoy, I would like to impart 5 of the books I enjoyed over the years and would recommend to others.
  1. Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery
  2. Ordinary People by Judith Guest
  3. Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman
  4. Woman Wanted by Joanna McClelland
  5. The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

posted by Insanity Supreme at 1:27 AM
about me
Insanity Supreme

View My Profile
previous posts
Popeye the Sailor man be banned from being viewed ...
Shhh I'm not Really Here
My Bullshit Encountered a Bullheaded Rule
It's Really about the P word
Christian Snobs a.k.a. Fish Magazine is a Bigot Pu...
Bloody Valentine
Welcome to 2005
Break on Through to the Other Side
Of Friendships and Frustrations
Hmm Something Went Wrong As Usual
archives
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
July 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006
April 2006
May 2006
July 2006
September 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
January 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
October 2008
December 2008
January 2009
October 2009
links to other blogs in blogspot
Uppers and Downers
A Star in My Own Right
Whine, Whine, Whine. Do You Want Cheese With That?
Clint Becomes a Butterfly
links to other blogs outside blogspot
Scribblings by Lizbeth
American Idle
music
It's Not That Easy Being Green