Sunday, May 08, 2005
Popeye the Sailor man be banned from being viewed by children
Last month I attended a 2 day course called Presentation Dynamics, wherein I was taught how to be a better speaker. One of the course's exercises required me to make an argumentatative speech or whatnot. The instructor said that it didn't matter what topic we pick as long as we can present 3 points.

Huh. Any topic. Well I can't really think of a topic at that time and what ever topic I picked, I wanted it to be fun so that the other attendees of the course will be entertained while learning at the same time. So the topic I picked was this: Popeye the Sailor man be banned from being viewed by children. I did some research by going into some websites that discusses the different episodes of Popeye as well as websites that featured their views on the show as a whole as well as its characters and created my arguments from there. The websites most helpful to me in this making this speech are the following: Mind Over Matter Teacher's Guide, Popeye the pothead, Sex, popeyes, and video tape. I, of course, prepared some opening remarks regarding my case and created a slide show presentation as well. Below was my opening remark as well the points for my case.

Should Popeye the Sailor man be banned from being viewed by children? My answer is yes. Now you may wonder why? Well before I answer that let me ask a few questions.

How many of you here today have children or do plan to have children? I guess it is safe to assume that as parents or would be parents we want our children to be influenced by the right things. One of the things we do to ensure this is by monitoring what they watch in television. Making sure that the show they watch is rated G or at the very least PG. Now with cartoons we usual think that they are kid safe especially if they are the kinds of cartoons we watched when we or our own parents were young because their topics are uncomplicated and not in any way influenced by the issues faced by our children in these modern times. But are we really sure?

The fact is Popeye the Sailor man is riddled with very modern issues. One would think that this is great since that would mean that children these days can watch something old and still relate to it. That is true but that is the bad news. And I have 3 reasons why this is so.


Reasons:
Promotes the use of drugs

Condones the use of violence

Females are portrayed in a bad light

Now, do I really believe in my argument? No, not really. I wasn't really a big fan of this cartoon but I wouldn't really preach against it. I only did if for this course. But I really wouldn't recommend it to parents either. Especially if their child is a girl. Hey, I'm a sporadic feminist, okay. The part about this cartoon portraying females in a bad light is something that I meant.

Anyhoo, whether this cartoon should be banned or not is really out of my hands. But hey it's a great topic and it did make me think twice about whether or not cartoons in the old days are appropriate in these times.

2 Comments:

Blogger stargazer said...

hi, i grew-up watching the Popeye Show, the points you presented are logical in a modern-day and highly scholastic situation, but i beg to disagree that Popeye should be banned at all. Popeye tought kids to be brave and fair and not to be violent, I also think that Popeye is the very epitome of a perfect gentleman, although Olive has her weak points , which you pointed out very well, she also inhibits the character that every person on this earth should have, compassion and unconditional love.
I also have a question to ask, do you think that the Powerpuff girls also condones the use of drugs and narcotics since they were created in a lab from a chemical mixture of 'sugar, spice and everything nice'? My point is, all these characters are created to advocate positivity and good spirit. Kids are kids and the message behind this cartoon shows are simple, be kind and be fair in everything you do. Just a thought.=)

8:22 PM, May 08, 2005  
Blogger Venessa said...

Oh Lord...that was hysterical. I think you should add that Olive promotes unheathy ideals on body image. It could just be high metablolism, but I don't remember seeing her eat anything. Anorexia.

Ban Popeye! (I'm just playing along with the joke...hope no one takes undue offense.) ;-)

9:48 PM, May 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

posted by Insanity Supreme at 6:13 PM
about me
Insanity Supreme

View My Profile
previous posts
Shhh I'm not Really Here
My Bullshit Encountered a Bullheaded Rule
It's Really about the P word
Christian Snobs a.k.a. Fish Magazine is a Bigot Pu...
Bloody Valentine
Welcome to 2005
Break on Through to the Other Side
Of Friendships and Frustrations
Hmm Something Went Wrong As Usual
archives
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
July 2005
October 2005
November 2005
January 2006
April 2006
May 2006
July 2006
September 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
January 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
October 2008
December 2008
January 2009
October 2009
links to other blogs in blogspot
Uppers and Downers
A Star in My Own Right
Whine, Whine, Whine. Do You Want Cheese With That?
Clint Becomes a Butterfly
links to other blogs outside blogspot
Scribblings by Lizbeth
American Idle
music
It's Not That Easy Being Green